Tuesday, October 27, 2009

EXCITING NEWS!!

Many of you know I've written a book and have been trying to get it published, which is not an easy process. I sent out query letters in June and received 100% rejections. But that was probably a good thing because it got me to do some more research (which I should've done in the first place! Hey, live and learn, right?) and I completely revamped my query letter so that it was kick-butt awesome compared to the last one I did and last Tuesday I submitted it to about seven more agencies.

I was having internet problems and finally Friday morning I asked Mom to check that email account for me and she sent me this.....

"Thank you for submitting your query to $%^&@. We read it with great interest and would like to see the full novel as well as a 3-5 page synopsis describing the book."

An agency in New York wanted my full manuscript!!! I nearly fell over! I did a lot of screaming and a weird kind of surreal, happy crying and I called Duane to read what she'd sent (she sent me their actual words) and I was so muddled he could hardly understand me, but it was an exciting day!

Usually agencies only ask for a few sample chapters, so I was a little blown away that they wanted the full thing up front, and they said they read my query with "great interest." WAH!! Anywho, I finally got everything exactly as I wanted it and sent the manuscript and a synopsis Sunday night. So now it's just a waiting game. They said it'll take up to 12 weeks to review my work, and that I was welcome to check with them after 8 weeks. What am I going to do for 8 weeks? JK

Needless to say, I've been very excited. I know it doesn't mean I'll get my book published. It is possible that they won't like what they read and I'll get the rejection later, but it's a step in the right direction in any case!

Watch out world, here I come!

10 comments:

Ashton & Co. said...

COngrats Courtney!!! That is exciting news...I will buy a copy! :)P.S. My two olders girls are getting excited for you to stay with them...theya re excited to "help" you with Zack!

Kerri said...

Courtney! I'm am so excited for you! Congrats! Oh, I hope this works out for you.

My friend Emily's husband is a well know writer (Brandon Sanderson). You could link to her from my blog is you have questions you'd like to ask her. She's great. I think her website is called imaginary elephants. Her husband is published with Scholastic & Tor.

Emily said...

Yay! That's so exciting!! Congratulations. I hope it all works out.

Katy said...

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH! A BIG congrats!!!

The Hurd Herd said...

That is so great Cortney!! We are so happy and excited for you!

Harley said...

Wow, that is amazing...wait, YOU are amazing. I love the way you look at it, that this is definitley a step in the right direction no matter what. Cute pics!

Andy and Micah said...

I finally made it to your blog. This great news.Congrats! You are so talented! I am so glad I saw you in Idaho. I am excited to keep in touch!

Christina said...

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! That is SO exciting! You NEVER cease to amaze me! I miss your face!

Goodman Family said...

Way to go Cortney! That is so exciting.

Kerri said...

I keep forgetting to ask you. What's the latest news on your book?